With an evolving cosmetic dentistry industry, there are several options available for those looking to enhance their smile appeal. Getting your teeth straightened into the perfect smile no longer means wearing uncomfortable braces for long periods of time. You now have an excellent alternative in the form of clear aligners, also known as invisible teeth aligners.
Made of BPA-free polyurethane plastic, clear aligners look similar to retainers. They fit snugly around the teeth and apply gentle pressure to slowly realign your teeth to their natural position. A major difference between braces and aligners is that braces are affixed onto your teeth and aren’t removed till the end of treatment – while the aligners are easily removable while eating or brushing/flossing teeth. For clear aligners to work efficiently, you will need to wear them for 22 hours every day and change them every two weeks for a slightly different one. When used properly, you will be able to see obvious differences within 6 weeks or so of using aligners.
Here is a look at some of the benefits of using clear aligners:
- Since clear aligners are almost invisible to the naked eye, they are a great way for adults to align their teeth. You will get the perfect smile and boost your self-esteem knowing that people can’t really know you are undergoing orthodontic treatment for straightening your teeth!
- Every set of clear aligners is custom-made to suit the patient’s alignment needs. They are individually made for each patient, based on a mold of their dentition. Using computerized 3-D imaging, a set of clear aligners are made, with each one exerting a specific amount of pressure to shift the teeth gently to their natural position.
- It is easy to manage oral hygiene effectively during treatment as the trays are removable. Once you finish eating, you will need to brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste and, if needed, floss too before popping your aligners back on. This is to prevent bacteria build-up between your teeth and aligners.
- Unlike the case with fixed braces, you can eat whatever you want when you are using clear aligners. This is only possible because aligners are easily removable when eating – whether at home or outside the home.
- By straightening your teeth with clear aligners, you have the added advantage of protection from gum disease and tooth decay. Straight teeth are less vulnerable to bacterial build-up, plaque formation, and erosion of tooth surface, leading to weakening of tooth structure.
- You can always remove the aligners for stress-free speech when there is an important occasion, such as making presentations or public speaking.
Out of the numerous brands of clear aligners available in the market, OrthoFX is known to be among the best. Due to its use of unique material and design to create the aligner trays, results are more enhanced and achievable in a shorter period of time. And the best part is that they are cost-effective too!